As a member of the Mauritius Institute of Directors, you have the opportunity to enhance your own knowledge and performance as a business leader while supporting the institute in its mission of promoting good corporate governance.
The MIoD is focused on helping companies change practices and on raising awareness on key issues that affect the Mauritian economy.
Whether you are a director, a member of management, a company secretary or a business owner, the MIoD can provide you with a platform to network and can support you through training geared towards changing practices in terms of corporate governance.
The Membership Categories
The MIoD’s constitution makes provision for difference grades of membership according to the levels of experience and status of those who are directors and senior managers of private and public sector organisations.
The grades of membership and the qualifying criteria of each are as follows:
- A person interested in the promotion of good corporate governance
- A person who aspires to become a Member of the Institute or to enrol in the MIoD’s training programme; or
- A full-time student at a recognised tertiary education institution.
- Applicants who do not meet the Member criteria
To qualify for Associate Membership, an applicant should not be eligible for full membership. The Associate membership status will be reviewed every 3 years, and the MIoD Nominations and Membership Committee will assess whether advancement to full membership is appropriate.
A person over 21 years of age, with 5 or more years’ experience working for an organisation with a minimum annual turnover of Rs. 5 million as:
- a director or alternate director of an entity; or an academic personnel at the level of, or equivalent to, professorship or senior lecturer, the heads of appropriate faculties in technical colleges being included in this category; or
- A director or equivalent position at a non-profit organisation
- An Associate Member who has completed the qualifying courses specified by the MIoD in its rules and regulations.
- a company secretary; or
- a senior executive with managerial responsibilities in the public or private sector; or
- a partner, associate or senior executive of a professional practice relating to business, management, finance, trade, economics or other related field ; or
- an executive at senior level in national, regional or local government
By application or invitation
A person of good standing, with 10 or more years’ experience working for an entity with a minimum annual turnover or budget of Rs.50 million as a:
- Senior executive involved directly with matters relating to corporations and Corporate Governance
- Partners or sole proprietors of a professional practice or unincorporated business
- Academic personnel of associate professor level or equivalent
In addition, the MIoD’s Nominations and Membership Committee may take into consideration whether the applicant has the appropriate experience and background which makes him/her eligible as a Fellow member. In exercising its judgment in this regard, the MIoD’s Membership Committee will consider that the category of Fellow membership is meant primarily to acknowledge significant experience in executing governance duties and those responsible for the strategic direction of the entity.
- A person who is over the age of 65; and
- who has been a ‘Member’ or ‘Fellow’ for at least 3 continuous years and who is no longer active in business
- If you are living overseas, you can become an MIoD member but need to have a permanent address in Mauritius
- If you are a current member about to head overseas, you can maintain your membership and take advantage of the reciprocal arrangements the MIoD has with other IoDs.
- You do not need to be a Mauritian Citizen but should have been residing outside Mauritius for at least 12 months.
- Overseas members will have all the benefits of their membership category.
How much does it cost to become a member of the MIoD?
When applying for membership, you will need to pay a non-refundable membership application fee of Rs 950.
There is also a membership fee which is payable annually according to the calendar year. If you become a member between July 1 and September 30, your subscription is halved. If you join as a member between October 1 and December 31, your subscription is calculated on a pro-rata basis.
The current annual subscriptions for the respective grades of members are as follows:
• Associates: Rs 1,600
• Members: Rs 2,900
• Fellows: Rs 4,500
Can membership be upgraded?
Persons whose experience and personal development since becoming a member of the MIoD has changed may apply for their membership to be upgraded because of their changed circumstances.
How can someone resign as a member?
As per the MIoD Membership Rules and Regulations, a member may terminate his membership at any time by giving not less than 2 months written notice before the end of any calendar year (i.e. by 31 October). If due notice has not been given, the following year’s membership fees becomes automatically payable.